My Museum of London-inspired gown is nearly complete and I'm several days ahead of schedule.
As I mentioned before, I had to machine sew the center seam in the center back panel. I tried hand sewing this several times but my back stitches were too crooked and the stripes wouldn't line up neatly.
In my last post I talked about making the panels much skinnier than I have worked with before (20 inches wide instead of 30 inches wide). When pleating this section, I found the lack of fabric challenging. Less fabric to tuck under meant that there was less fabric to form the stripe pattern.
|The center back panel all cut and ready for the skirt panels and bodice.|
|My new sleeves.|
|The skirt panel - pleated, pinned and waiting for basting stitches. The 20 inch skirt panels were much easier to pleat than the green gown.|
When finishing the top of the center back panel I cut the stripes so that....
...they're just like the original.
And here's the gown with everything attached. It just needs a sash and a little trim.
What a lovely dress! Sewing with stripes and graphic patterns on fabric is always a challenge - and it was a challenge that wasn't always mastered by the seamstresses back then either. Your result is wonderful!!!ReplyDelete
Oh isn't she cute!!!! Hopefully it is a good sign that she will follow in your creative footsteps :)ReplyDelete
Thank you so much Mrs C and Sabine!!ReplyDelete
You did an awesome job on this gown, the color suited you perfectly and the red sash was stunning.ReplyDelete
You are doing a brilliant job! It will be lovely, and oh! your little girl! She is such an angel~ReplyDelete